Monday, August 3, 2009

The "dirty dozen"

You are what you eat, they say... I've seen the effect of food on the healing of my body this last year. It truly is amazing and clearly scientific. I saw my body respond to eating protein, my wounds healed better. I have seen the effects of insulin on my body in allowing me to use the food I eat correctly... it is scientifically formulated as to how much food I eat and the amount of insulin I take...

Again, cause and effect. So, if you are interested in providing a better quality of food for your family or a better quality of food for your body, the following is a tid-bit of information to help you along...

The topic is organic food.


The Organic Shopping Guide

What does the label mean?

The USDA National Organic Program regulates how the word “organic” can be used for both domestic and imported foods. The official “USDA Organic” seal signifies a product is at least 95% organic.

Here’s what the other labels mean:
100% organic

All ingredients must be organic

Organic
Guarantees 95% of the ingredients are organic

Made with organic ingredients:
At least 70% of the contents are organic


Spend wisely: (as these are typically more pricey than conventional food in the grocery stores... try a farmers market? note by jc)


These 12 fruits and vegetables (the Dirty Dozen) contain the highest levels of pesticides; buy organic to reduce your exposure.

Apples
Imported grapes
Potatoes
Bell peppers
Nectarines
Raspberries
Celery
Peaches
Spinach
Cherries
Pears
Strawberries


The pesticide levels of these 12 fruits and vegetables (Consistently Clean) are low to undetectable; okay to buy conventional.

Asparagus
Cauliflower
Papaya
Avocados
Kiwi
Pineapples
Bananas
Mangoes
Sweet corn
Broccoli
Onions
Sweet peas


Choose organic breads, pastas, cereals, and other processed foods when cost and availability allow it

No comments:

Post a Comment